Or, more correctly, I came back to …
Regular readers know I’ve had numerous issues with computer browsers. IE (in all her permutations, lastly 11), Chrome, Vivaldi, Ice Dragon, Blue Moon, ad infinitum ad nauseum…
I just cannot seem to get and use a browser without it eventually becoming buggy. (and yes, I have and use security and anti-malware software!)
Most recently, I was utilizing Blue Moon, but it seemed to be getting slower, and almost every time I wanted to leave a comment on someone’s blog, I got this lovely game:
Select all images with a store front.
Click verify once there are none left.
and had to page through store fronts, trees, grass, rivers etc. until the software was happy I was a human being!
SO, I went back to FF, updated to the latest version, and we are off to the races!
Until the next time…
And, don’t even get me started on Windows 10! I installed it (making security adjustments recommended by my good friend Borepatch, and others), and it has been working fairly well, for a Microsoft product.
Of late, daily, they attempt to download automatic updates. My machine goes through the motions, and restarts a number of times. Then, I get THIS message:
And everything works fine until the next day, when it begins all over again!
Attempts to contact Microsoft have been met with automatic responses making reference to Windows 8 (which I have never had nor used), so it appears I am doomed.
It’s Groundhog Day all over again!