(from the Arizona Citizens Defense League, in part)
Committee Hearings Scheduled
The following pro-rights firearms bills are scheduled for committee hearings in the coming week. Details about these and other bills can be found at AzCDL’s Bill Tracking page.
HB 2318, which would require a conviction of a crime before a concealed weapons permit can be revoked, is scheduled for a hearing in the House Judiciary and Public Safety committee on Wednesday, February 1.
SB 1243, the AzCDL-requested bill that would exempt CCW permit holders from disarming in public (state and local government controlled) buildings or events that do not screen everyone entering for weapons, is scheduled for a hearing in the Senate Government committee on Wednesday, February 1.
To voice your support for these bills:
- Visit the AZ Legislature Applications page.
- Click on the “Request to Speak” icon to log in to the system.
- Once you have signed on, click on the “New Request” icon on the left side of the page.
- A new window will open up.In the “Search Phrase” line, enter the bill number (e.g., 2318) and click on the blue “Search” button.It is not necessary to add HB or SB before the bill number.
- Your search results will appear below the “Search” button.
- Click on the blue “Add Request” button on the right side of your search results to bring up your voting page.
- Click on the “For” (thumbs up) button.
- Unless you will be testifying at the hearing, always answer “No” to the “Do you wish to speak?” question.
- After voting, click on the blue “Submit” button.
- You’ll need to click on the “New Request” icon to start the process for the next bill.
If you are a current AzCDL member and do not have an RTS account, please contact Fred (email@example.com) for assistance in setting up an account.
Good Bills Progressing
This past week, thanks to your activism, the following bills passed out of their respective committees.
HB 2117, which would strengthen the rights of state militia members, passed out of the House Federalism, Property Rights and Public Policy (FPRPP) committee hearing on Tuesday, January 24.
HB 2216, which would make it illegal to track firearms or their owners via electronic systems, databases, etc., passed out of the House Judiciary and Public Safety committee hearing on Wednesday, January 25.
HB 2287, which would change the language regarding the culpable mental state required to prove a person unlawfully discharged a firearm, also passed out of the House Judiciary and Public Safety committee hearing on Wednesday, January 25.
These bills will need a House Rules committee hearing before they can be debated in the House Committee of the Whole (COW). When bills are scheduled for COW hearings we will prepare emails for you to send to your legislators via our Legislative Action Center.
Committee hearings continue to be a priority in the coming weeks. The deadline for bills to be heard in committees in the originating chamber (House or Senate) is Friday, February 17, just a few weeks away.
As important bills are scheduled for committee hearings and floor votes we will notify you via these alerts. It only takes a few mouse clicks to make a big difference.
These alerts are a project of the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL), an all-volunteer, non-profit, non-partisan grassroots organization.