Now, I’ve said before numerous times in this blog (and in real life) that I love this Nation, warts-and-all! I understand that so doing can be a complex, and sometimes confusing endeavor.
Yes, Jefferson owned slaves. And he even took Sally Hemmings to Europe. And may have fathered a child with her. (DNA evidence does not exclude his brother as the father, which was also a possibility). And yes, she was a slave – had absolutely no choice.
But, I’m not here to debate this.
Jefferson was a great mind, who coalesced theoretical ideas of John Locke (that Social Contract guy) into one of the great documents in human history – The Declaration of Independence. He and the Founding Fathers designed this Nation, and he devised the 3/5 compromise, setting the stage to grow this country as a confederacy and for freeing the slaves a couple of generations later.
Yes, he was human. A widower. And alone much of his life.
Now comes this:
The “council meeting” at Charlottesville is an example of the war strategies of the enemies of freedom and the South. It isn’t a deep, intricate strategy but it is effective. It goes something like this:
1. Call a meeting of the local governing group to ostensibly hear the “voice of the People.”
2. Make sure that the “People” who support the agenda of the governing group (or at least its majority) know that they will have free rein in that meeting no matter what “opening remarks” are made calling for civility and proper conduct.
3. Fill the audience with people for whom “civility and proper conduct” has no meaning other than the restraints under which their opponents will be held.
4. Permit the meeting to degenerate into chaos with the larger and louder group shouting down and intimidating those who have come to participate in what they thought was the democratic process; it isn’t.
5. Have the media carry the story that whatever “plan” is being considered by the “governing body” has the approval of the people and that those who objected were “racists” or in a small minority.
Result? They win (again), we lose (again) and the cultural genocide goes on. We have got to stop thinking that such spectacles as the Charlottesville “meeting” represent a condition of social anarchy and that these “meetings” simply indicate the failure of local government to control the attendees. No such thing! It is as orchestrated as a ballet with the exception that those who are not “in” on the program find themselves trying to make order out of chaos and because most of the time our side is well bred, polite and considerate, we get our collective backsides kicked from here to Sunday.
You should really go and read all of it.
That way, you can determine from where this “foul legacy” truly emanates. (Here’s a hint – It’s NOT Jefferson!)
h/t Free North Carolina
Or perhaps the decade!
“The goal of progressivism is not to make the world rational; it’s to make the world Portland.”
Would that that were true; their ultimate goal is really to make the world Leningrad.
(Cold Fury – Mike)
The post continues to be quotable.
Progressivism, especially in its well-heeled coastal expressions, is not a philosophy — it’s a lifestyle.
The difference (from conservatives) is that progressives, blazing with self-righteousness, believe themselves entitled to make their preferences a matter of law.
And that’s the Left in short: A lifestyle so good, it’s mandatory.
Perhaps YOU SHOULD GO AND READ THE WHOLE THING?
(No, I’m not requiring you do so…)
The President of The United States was too busy to march with the 40,000+ against terrorism in Paris, but…
He rushed off the funeral of the head of state of Saudi Arabia…
Please fill in the blanks for me.
Popular culture/media contends:
The President is not Muslim, nor is any President subservient to any foreign power or potentate.
Reportedly, we can obtain fossil fuels from Canada, Alaska, off our own shores (if the laws allowed it – but we allow Brazil to drill there!), but we must continue to go to a dicey part of the World and suck-up to ‘allies’ who support Wahhabism (Most of the guys did 9/11 were Saudi Wahhabis) to get their oil!
What’s up with THAT?
Inquiring minds want to know.
- Rahm Emanuel, Mayor of Chicago, former Chief-of-Staff to the President (quoted in the blog title)
One of the most important yet overlooked factors that will occur in the aftermath of a massive terrorist attack on the United States is that such an attack would spark martial law on a national basis. Several national security experts were contacted who have no doubt that martial law will be declared. This declaration would include not only forced curfews but mandatory confiscation of citizen owned firearms.
The very same scenario would be implemented in the event of a devastating national disaster, such as a rare 1000-year volcano, a deadly tsunami that would decimate either the east or west coasts, or a direct hit by an asteroid.
Since the days of the Reagan administration, government has had a blueprint for continuing to operate in secret underground bunkers that have been built all across the United States. It is called simply “Continuity of Government” that establishes specific, detailed protocols for addressing the threat posed to the entire U.S. government. While some of these protocols are prudent and necessary, the section that would implement martial law is particularly troublesome. (in part from Examiner.com)
The Administration (and their socialist minions) use every criminal shooting to continue to beat the drum for civilian disarmament – even if the firearms chosen had nothing to do with the crime. Every oil spill, however slight, is an ecological disaster. Every attempt to increase private business growth is viewed as a product of the evil 1%. Every attempt to privatize (translation – let the people decide instead of the government) pretty much anything is de facto evil, because it takes power and control away from the all-powerful, and knowledgeable
The gun control movement began in this country as a means of keeping firearms away from freed slaves (in Kentucky, in 1809) and the great unwashed (in New York City 1911). And the same forces responsible continue to push for civilian disarmament, especially of the poor. (Cheap guns are dangerous and only used in crime).
How racist is gun control?
Now that the gun rights folks have achieved CCW statutes in most States, even in Illinois, their only response is the bigger picture.
Foment nationwide discord and just wait for the next big terrorist attack. Then institute martial law and disarm the populous.
I’m sure Al Qaeda and company are just waiting so they can attack a second time. From Saudi Arabia.
h/t The Liberty Sphere
Brock Townsend shares with us:
I came across this article today, entitled Are Militias a Menace? It mainly focuses on pro-government militias during times of civil war abroad, however, there are some very important takeaways from this article. To wit:
The distinction between “gang” and “militia” — ties with the government
Unlike rebels or criminals, whose actions are necessarily illegal and opposed by the state, these groups enjoy semi-official or informal ties with the government.
Liberal use of state-backed militias (i.e., “gangs”) to abuse the populace and disabuse themselves of the blame
Their statistical findings (published here and summarized here) show that the appearance of militias is strongly correlated with violations of human rights, particularly when governments want to maximize harm to civilians while minimizing blame for the action of armed groups that are, ostensibly, “free agents.”
In other words, the SPLC can s*** it!
And don’t even get me started on the Fast & Furious government-gang thing!
I think that was first labelled as such by Rudyard Kipling.
Borepatch led me to Goober’s thoughts on the matter…
Goober on “Social Justice Warriors”:
You take a guy that lived his entire life in the Amazonian jungle, fighting for every meal he’s ever eaten, making his own living/clothing/abode/etc at huge expense of labor, and living every day with the fear of that next cut becoming septic and killing him, or that next sniffle being the cold that brings him down, or the next monsoon not being monsooney enough and his family starving to death, and you give him a pair of Levi jeans, some tennis shoes, a first world education, and modern medicine, and HE WILL CUT YOUR FUCKING THROAT before he will let you stick him back in that jungle.
But SJWs want to keep him there, unmolested by western “cultural pollution” like modern medicine and central air conditioning, in order to “preserve his culture”, without giving him an educated say in the decision at all. More of that SJW superiority.
This idea of “allowing the brown people to stay in their place” smacks an awful, awful lot like “keeping the brown people in their place.” (end)
I had two directions I wanted to address this. One was simple agreement with Goober, (with perhaps a tip of the Hatlo hat to Firesign Theatres’ Temporarily Humboldt County*), the second going sideways regarding the invention if the term Social Justice Warriors, aka SJWs. Conservative/libertarian/gun culture shorthand.
Not unlike JBTs for Jack-Booted Thugs.
And I’m not even touching the Star Trekian Prime Directive, or Jean-Jacque Rosseau’s ‘Noble Savage’ meme…
“All over the map – Geez, he’s all over the map!” (from inside most of your heads)
I’m still dealing with this sinus/throat thing. Forgive me.
*FREAK: Hey, man! Don’t let him bring you down, now. There’s a lot of young people in this country, just like myself, who really know where the Indian’s at. And don’t worry. Soon we’re all gonna be out here on the Reservation, livin’ like Indians, ‘n’ dressin’ like Indians and doing all the simple, Beautiful Things that you Indians do. Hey – got any peyote? (link)
I’m a big believer in giving credit where credit is due. And blame. AND RESPONSIBILITY.
Much of the media likes to pin the badge of how evil the Koch Brothers are, because they support conservative causes. Funny how they rarely look at George Soros and his tentacles with anything more than a passing glance.
90 Miles From Tyranny recently posted a list of those organizations funded by Mr. Soros and his minions. A smattering off the list:
- American Civil Liberties Union: This group opposes virtually all post-9/11 national security measures enacted by the U.S. government. It supports open borders, has rushed to the defense of suspected terrorists and their abettors, and appointed former New Left terrorist Bernardine Dohrn to its Advisory Board.
- American Institute for Social Justice: AISJ’s goal is to produce skilled community organizers who can “transform poor communities” by agitating for increased government spending on city services, drug interdiction, crime prevention, housing, public-sector jobs, access to healthcare, and public schools.
- Center for Community Change: This group recruits and trains activists to spearhead leftist “political issue campaigns.” Promoting increased funding for social welfare programs by bringing “attention to major national issues related to poverty,” the Center bases its training programs on the techniques taught by the famed radical organizer Saul Alinsky.
- Democratic Justice Fund: DJF opposes the Patriot Act and most efforts to restrict or regulate immigration into the United States — particularly from countries designated by the State Department as “terrorist nations.”
- Free Exchange on Campus: This organization was created solely to oppose the efforts of one individual, David Horowitz, and his campaign to have universities adopt an “Academic Bill of Rights,” as well as todenounce Horowitz’s 2006 book The Professors. Member organizations of FEC include Campus Progress (a project of the Center for American Progress); the American Association of University Professors; theAmerican Civil Liberties Union; People For the American Way; the United States Student Association; theCenter for Campus Free Speech; the American Library Association; Free Press; and the National Association of State Public Interest Research Groups.
- Green For All: This group was created by Van Jones to lobby for federal climate, energy, and economic policy initiatives.
- Institute for America’s Future: IAF supports socialized medicine, increased government funding for education, and the creation of an infrastructure “to ensure that the voice of the progressive majority is heard.”
- LatinoJustice PRLDF: This organization supports bilingual education, the racial gerrymandering of voting districts, and expanded rights for illegal aliens.
- Media Matters for America: This organization is a “web-based, not-for-profit … progressive research and information center” seeking to “systematically monitor a cross-section of print, broadcast, cable, radio, and Internet media outlets for conservative misinformation.” The group works closely with the Soros-backed Center for American Progress, and is heavily funded by Democracy Alliance, of which Soros is a major financier.
- Prison Moratorium Project: This initiative was created in 1995 for the express purpose of working for the elimination of all prisons in the United States and the release of all inmates. Reasoning from the premise that incarceration is never an appropriate means of dealing with crime, it deems American society’s inherent inequities the root of all criminal behavior.
- Working Families Party: Created in 1998 to help push the Democratic Party toward the left, this front group for the Soros-funded ACORN functions as a political party that promotes ACORN-friendly candidates.
As with so many progressive-based organizations, they may have been started as independent of politics, with good intentions, but later co-opted by the progressive movement. Others were poisoned from the beginning.
You should really visit 90 Miles From Tyranny and see the whole, long list.
Then go back to poo-poohing the Koch brothers.
While they certainly do not bring points for the most civil, moral or efficient. Or Constitutionally libertarian. They are definitely not the WORST!
Exhibit One (courtesy of Cato @ Liberty)
The 31st Congress, which passed the Fugitive Slave Act in 1850
The 5th Congress, which passed the Alien and Sedition Acts in 1798
The 21st Congress, which passed the Indian Removal Act in 1830
The 77th Congress, which passed Public Law 503, codifying President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Executive Order 9066 authorizing the internment of Japanese, German, and Italian Americans, in 1942
The 65th Congress, which passed the Eighteenth Amendment (Prohibition), the Espionage Act, and the Selective Service Act, and entered World War I, all in 1917
And let us not forget the rubber stamping of Constitutional Amendments changing election of Senators to popular vote (effectively eliminating State Power and increasing Federal Power) and creation of The Federal Income Tax, AND the National Firearms Act, Gun Control Act and Assault Weapons Ban. AND, The Patriot Act and her illegitimate children.
I could go on. And on.
Why do they insist on being called LAWMAKERS? Shouldn’t they MODERATE and ADJUST for REMOVAL of Laws, not just add to them?
Kent (of Kent’s Hooligan Libertarian Blog) recently mused regarding the subject of animals, their ‘rights’, and his wearing of buckskin and eating animal flesh. And the spurious arguments of radical vegetarians. The money quote, to wit:
“I know how many vertebrates died for me to make my jacket. Three deer, a pig (for the brains I used to tan the hides), and an elk, which is where the sinew used to sew the jacket came from. (Various numbers of yellow jackets were also crushed when I rung out the wet hides during tanning.)
“How many animals died due to the farming or manufacture, and transportation, of your cotton, nylon, or hemp clothing? Habitat loss, agricultural chemicals, the trucks and factories and fuel all took a toll on animals. Both of us wear clothes that resulted in death. At least I own it.” (end)
Now, I’ve no argument with the rank-and-file vegan or fruititarian with regard to their lifestyle choice. Some varieties might be healthier than my choices. But, some seem bent on making me change my lifestyle choices, because they see theirs as the true way. Much like a religious zealot. Or a
global cooling, global warming, climate change, climate disruption (or whatever they are calling it this week) zealot.
As with any other good for you philosophy – when tied to a political agenda, it loses it’s purity.
Because it’s for the children. Or Mother Earth. Or Gaia. Or whatever they are calling it this week.
MY (libertarian-philosophical) choice is generally to leave others alone. I try to pass this knowledge onto to others who are receptive to it. If they are not, that’s their business.
Learning to leave others alone to their business is freeing. And less stressful.
It’s for the children, ya know!
(I’m gonna go have a bacon cheeseburger now! With onion straws, cheddar, barbeque sauce and mustard. And crisp French fries. Your choices may vary. And that’s okay.)
Civil Asset Forfeiture
The Washington Post has been running a very good series of investigative reports on how police departments around the nation have been seizing billions of dollars from often innocent citizens without charging them with any crime. That link takes you to the first installment. On the side, near the top, are the links to the other five pieces. It’s time for Congress to address this issue nationally. Somehow, I doubt that Republicans will allow that.
I’ve been concerned for years about how The Federal Government (through the IRS) can garnishee, attach, freeze,
steal assets in advance of due process. Then it’s up to the poor object of these seizures to fight to get said assets back!
Seemed kind of ass-backwards to me(?)
Now (or perhaps for some time) police departments are engaging in similar behavior!
I’m reminded of a local tale (from the 70’s) in this area, wherein a guy made a police report subsequent to a business burglary. And reported the losses to his insurance company. Later, he found some assets in the rubble he had previously thought stolen, and attempted to amend his report.
He was charged with FRAUD, FILING A FALSE REPORT, AND HIS ASSETS SEIZED!
As he sat in the middle of his printing business, watching agents remove everything, crying, he asked one, “Why?”
“Because we can.” was the terse response.
What is it Lord Acton said of government? Absolutely.